Here’s another 30-minute meal for you under 500 calories per serving! This dish is filled with simple powerfoods and a burst of flavor. Instead of using only quinoa, I blended a mixture of quinoa, freekah (green wheat), and brown rice. I simply layered the ingredients in a 1/2 cup and cooked it just like I would with any other grain; a 1:2 ratio. It was really tasty to combine the grains together, it made it a bit more interesting with the varied textures and flavors. Try it!
So here’s what you gotta do…
- 4-6oz fresh wild salmon
- 2 tbsp. teriyaki sauce (low sodium)
- ½ cup quinoa, freekah (green wheat), brown rice
- 1 chicken bouillon
- small pinch dried rosemary
- 4 large kale leaves, broken into pieces off stem
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven 350F
- In a greased 8x8 baking dish, place salmon filet(s)
- Drizzle teriyaki sauce over salmon and sprinkle salt and pepper
- Bake salmon for about 15-20 minutes or until it flakes away when penetrated by a fork
- While salmon is baking, cook grains together in one pot as you would cook rice or quinoa. In a ½ cup, measure a layer of quinoa, a layer or freekah, and top it off with brown rice. You can vary the proportions for your liking. If you don't have one of the ingredients, feel free to use one or two of the grains. Add bouillon to the pot.
- In a large non-stick pan, add crushed garlic. When garlic begins to simmer, add kale. Allow to cook, but be sure to toss frequently to prevent burning
- Once kale is wilted, it is finished. Take off of the burner
- When grains are fully cooked, sprinkle with rosemary
- Serve salmon over ¼ cup of quinoa with a heaping serving of kale on the side
So today has been…productive. Unfortunately, my classes got cancelled this morning due to low attendance 🙁 I hope they pick up for next week, right before Thanksgiving! It’s such a rough time…but if YOU’RE READING and live in the WEST WINDSOR/PRINCETON area, come cycle at PEDALSTROKE!! It’s such an awesome studio and I can’t wait for classes to get filled!!
So, I shot a video for tomorrow’s “Fit Friday” which took me about 4 hours with editing…don’t judge me. But I hope you all like it 🙂 – I also got my first photo award on pixoto.com for top photo of the day A.K.A. “Rising Star”. So that was exciting.