I put pizza bagels in the same category as grilled cheese. Both warm, homey, and delicious.
This, however, is a more sophisticated pizza bagel. Don’t feel limited to using mozzarella cheese. I used a sharp cheddar and a spicy jalapeño cheddar and vodka sauce instead of a marinara. If your into horseradish, a horseradish cheddar works nicely too.
- 1 bagel
- 1-2 tbs. vodka sauce
- ~5 small, thin slices of sharp cheddar + spicy jalapeño cheese
- Slice bagel in half
- Spoon and evenly spread sauce over the sliced bagel
- Sprinkle/place cheese down on top of the sauce. The bagel does not need to be completely covered with cheese. Just enough to get a taste in every bite.
- Stick in the toaster oven on the "toast" setting.
- Keep an eye on the pizza bagels, when the cheese is melted, your pizza bagel is finito!
Use various sauces. Tomato/plain red sauce works great, so does vodka and tomato basil.
Serves great with a side salad with a mixed variety of veggies.
Nutritional information will vary depending on what types of sauce and cheeses you decide to use. For a more health conscious pizza bagel try a multigrain bagel, low sodium tomato sauce, low fat/low sodium cheese (shredded) and sprinkle just a pinch or two on each side.
OR- eat half the pizza bagel with a larger salad, then have the other half later.