The season of over eating has arrived and it’s time to enjoy ourselves, but also be smart about what goes in…when we can. Like BREAKFAST! What a perfect meal to be certain you get your vitamins, fiber, potassium, etc in! The best part, other than its nutritional value, is that it is extremely simple to put together. Oatmeal is fun because you can honestly throw whatever your heart desires into it and it’s almost always delicious.
All of these ingredients do contain a healthy amount of calories, but they are packed with goodness. Just be conscious when adding these items to your oatmeal because it is very easy to take your 350 calorie oatmeal to a 600 calorie oatmeal without knowing. Now this isn’t necessarily a bad thing, just be aware of it.
I made only one serving for this recipe, but you can easily double, triple, quadruple the recipe to make it large enough to share with your friends and family!
- ⅓ cup oats
- ~1/2 cup water or milk (milk will be thicker and creamer)
- ¼ cup craisins
- ¼ cup almonds
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds, raw unsalted
- 1 tsp. chia seeds
- 1 tsp. hemp hearts
- ½ tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- Sprinkle of nutmeg, optional (pumpkin pie spice contains nutmeg)
- Cook oats as desired, on stove top or microwave (I used the microwave)
- Fold in crasins, almonds, pumpkin seeds
- Add spices on top and stir all ingredients together
I never can seem to finish a whole full serving of oatmeal, so I always cut it down.