Healthy, paleo friendly, quick+easy, and delicious! It’s even faster if you have the time earlier in the day or even the night before, to cube the squash prior to prep time. In about 40 minutes, you’ll have an awesome paleo friendly meal 🙂 YUM!
- 1 butternut squash
- 1 large bunch of kale
- 4-6 chicken sausage links (depending on how many servings)
- ~2-3 tbsp. olive oil
- seasonings of your choice (to taste- about 1/2-1tsp of each spice)
- a few red onion slices
- 1-2 garlic cloves, minced
Step 1: Squash
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- If you’re using a whole butternut squash, which I’d recommend, cut it in half, scoop out the inside goop, peel it with a veggie peeler, and cube up into bite sized pieces. Inspired Taste, has some nice photos of how to prep the squash. I failed to take the prep pictures this time around 🙁 , next time!
- In a large mixing bowl coat the squash cubes with 1-2 tbsp. of olive oil, and add seasonings. I seasoned my squash with; salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, a dash of ground ginger, and cayenne pepper. Feel free to season your squash with your favorite flavors.
- The squash will take 40-45 minutes to roast, so you want to get it in the oven as soon as possible.
Once the squash is prepped and in the oven, get your kale and chicken sausage ready to go. Wait for there to be about only 15-20 minutes remaining on the squash before starting the sausage and the kale. The sausage and kale cook fairly quickly, and you don’t want it to sit around and get cold.
Step 2: Chicken Sausage
- I did not make my own chicken sausage, I just bought some that looked yummy at the store.
- I cooked it in a non-stick pan, no added oil, with some red onion slices, until brown on both sides and cooked all the way through.
Step 3: Garlic Kale
- Take a LARGE bunch of kale. Strip the leaves off of the stem and rinse well.
- In a wok or a very large sauté pan, drizzle 1 tbsp of olive oil in the pan. Once the pan is hot add in the garlic and sauté. Add in the kale leaves. With tongs, continuously turn/fold the kale leaves over one another. As soon as the kale starts becoming a darker green and slightly wilted, take it out of the pan and into a serving dish to avoid over cooking.
By the time the chicken and kale is finished, the squash should be too. And there you have a scrumptious, flavorful paleo weeknight meal!
Nutritional Info: Serving Size: 1/2 cup squash, 1 sausage, a heaping 1/2 cup of kale. Calories: 317; Total Fat: 16g; Sat. Fat: 3.1g; Unsat. Fat: 3.3g; Cholesterol: 60mg; CHO: 23g; Fiber: 5.6g; Sugar: 4.6g; Protein: 16.4g
In other news, another one of my photos has been accepted to FoodGawker! YAYYY!!!