If you’re looking for a light, guilt-free, and yummy addition to your Holiday cookie collection, this recipe is one you’ve gotta try! I’ll put it this way…I went to a cookie exchange this past Friday, and these were the first to go. These cookies are light and airy, low in calories, and only contain 4 INGREDIENTS!!!
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 7oz tube almond paste
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tsp. pure almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Combine sugar and almond paste in a mixer or a food processor until small pieces are formed
- Add egg whites and almond extract. Continue to mix until smooth (HIGH setting with a mixer for about 4 minutes)
- Cover mixing bowl with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 20 minutes
- Using a teaspoon or a mini ice cream scoop, drop cookies about an inch apart on parchment paper-lined cookie sheets
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until golden brown around the edges
- Cool completely on pans, then transfer to a wire rack
NOTE: Be sure to allow cookies to completely cool on the baking sheets before removing them. I made the mistake of trying to move them immediately on my first batch. The bottom of the cookies are sticky when they first come out of the oven so they need time to solidify before they’re ready to be moved. Moving the cookies before they’re ready will result in broken, bottomless cookies.
This recipe is adapted from Charity Ferrera, Cooking Light, November 2006